Summer is here and buildings with outdated single-pane windows are heating up like a greenhouse. To replace or not to replace? That is the question.
Energy efficiency is one of the main reasons you would consider replacing your existing outdated windows. Another reason may include the cost for maintenance and upkeep, especially for wooden window frames. Poor insulation can also make being inside uncomfortable.
However, window replacement is costly in both time and money. If you are a building manager this will disrupt the work environment of your tenants. If you are a homeowner, finding the perfect time and weather to completely change out all the windows in your home is extremely difficult. And how do you measure the typical payback? Most experts agree it takes 15-20 years to see a return on your investment for window replacement. Let’s examine a few alternatives that aren’t as hard on your schedule or your wallet.
CONSIDERING SOLAR FILMS
Most older windows are single pane, which drive up energy costs by allowing heat to escape in the winter and magnifying heat during the summer. To avoid window replacement without losing money out the window, you can apply a solar film that reduces heat while protecting inhabitants and furnishings from harmful UVA rays.
Commercial window films also encourage more consistent temperature flow throughout the building. Solar / low-e window film can be applied to the interior of your windows by a professional and is backed by a manufacturer’s warranty.
SDG&E offers a rebate of $1.35 per square foot in the state of California, which is a HUGE discount.
TO REPLACE OR NOT TO REPLACE?
Hopefully we have given you some food for thought when it comes to considering a complete window replacement or using window film to retrofit and upgrade existing windows. We also offer free energy audits that determine the typical payback for a commercial building allowing you to base your decisions on which method would be most cost effective.
Give us a call at 858.332.1650 for your free consultation!
Yikes, what happened to my furniture? HELP! my red couch is now pink and my dark wood floors are lighter in front of my windows. Why is that?
4 Causes for Fading Furniture, Floors & Fabrics!
The Sun Is Your Home Furnishings #1 Enemy
Here in San Diego, the sunlight that we value has that “good news / bad news” thing going for it. The good news is that we love our windows and the beautiful views San Diego provides. The bad news is the furniture, flooring, window treatments, and artwork we love are fading.
Most homes in San Diego have an average of 40 plus windows and the sun shines through most at some point of the day-winter or summer. As you can see by the diagram, UV light by itself is the largest culprit causing 40% of fading.
How Can I Protect My Home Furnishings from Fading?
Modern window films or window tints offer UV protection up to 99%. Phew! That takes care of 40% but what about the variable light (25%) and heat (25%)-combined that’s a whopping 50%! Miscellaneous is ambient light, humidity, moisture, and the quality of some dyes used in fabrics.
Well, that’s where it gets a little trickier. You, the homeowner, have a decision to make. You can reject the heat up to 79% but in order to do that the film will be darker sacrificing some of the light, OR, you can have a lighter film, allowing more light to come through but it won’t cut down as much of the heat. This is where the professionals come into play. We can help you decide the perfect film for your home. Give us a call for a consultation at 858.332.1650 —it’s FREE! (I love free)
If UV radiation can damage interior furnishings, what can it do to your skin? Just because you are indoors, you can still get a tan or burn as the sun penetrates through your windows, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation.
The reason we use sunscreen is to protect ourselves from UVA and UVB rays. Even on days with cloud cover, 80% of solar UV rays can penetrate through thin cloud cover. The heat you feel from the sun comes from infrared rays, not UV rays. The UV radiation exposure is cumulative, which means the total damage you receive is directly related to how often you’re exposed to UV rays. The damage this radiation causes could ultimately lead to skin diseases like cancer.
There are options you can choose to protect you and your family. Awnings, curtains or blinds will work, although they block views and can create a dark interior. Window film, however, blocks up to 99.9 percent of UV while offering an unobstructed view, allowing natural light while decreasing the use of artificial lighting.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation!
Contact Eco Tint and Shade at 858-332-1650 or on the web for a free consultation and estimate for window film!